Prohibitions and Restrictions

Hello it’s David here with more information that you will need to know in the event of a ‘no deal’.  Certain goods require official permission to import or export.  This permission comes in the form of a ‘licence’.  As an importer, it is your legal responsibility to comply with import licence rules.  Equally, as an exporter you are liable for ensuring that you conform to export licence rules. 

Incoterms – the terms which define who is paying for what between the exporter and importer – makes no difference to who is responsible to the UK authorities.  Equally, if you use an agent to prepare declarations on your behalf, the legal responsibility remains yours and does not sit with the agent.  You cannot fool proof yourself against the law by trading under any particular Incoterm or by employing the services of an agent.

Although accuracy remains your responsibility, we can help you with these challenges if you require our support. 

Please contact:

Stephen Lambrou, Customs Clearance Manager

Tel:  +44 (0)1304 248 390


UK government advice to traders is reproduced below:

Check whether your goods are prohibited or restricted in any way or whether any additional requirements are necessary.

You can read a list of goods that you can’t bring into the UK by clicking on the blue text.

Some goods are restricted and you will need a special licence to bring them into the UK.

Licenses are needed for the import and export of military and para-military goods, dual-use and technology, artworks, plants and animals, medicines and chemicals.

For more information, please see the current guidance on Import and Export Licenses by clicking on the blue text.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *